If you choose to participate, it’s important that you are supported and helped to develop the skills you need to do this well.
Here are some of the people who may be able to help you:
- Your teacher: he / she will know you well and may be able to support you – e.g. if you wanted to stand for election;
- The school council link teacher: he / she is responsible for the school council, but may have a broader role to encourage participation across the school;
- A senior member of staff / your headteacher: they may be able to help you to make things happen, and should listen to your ideas;
- A member of the governing body: there may be one person on the governing body who has a responsibility for participation;
- Your parents / carers: remember to tell your parents / carers about the things you are involved in in school, so that they can support and encourage you.
These people may also be able to help you to get training so that you feel more confident and skilled in your role. If you’re not sure about this, ask!